Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Frugal Recipes

Since everything else is so expensive right now I'm doing all I can to cut back where I can. It's not easy but you gotta do what you gotta do right? ;)

I've been going through AllRecipes.com and other recipe sites trying to find good things to cook that either don't take a  lot of ingredients or at least take the ones I have on hand for every day use.
I came across this recipe on SouthernPlate.com

Crunchy Beef Casserole 

  • 2 Cups Corkscrew Macaroni (Rotini)
  • 1 can cream of mushroom soup
  • 3/4 C Shredded Cheddar Cheese
  • 3/4 tsp Seasoned Salt
  • 1 lb Ground Beef
  • 1 can (14 oz) whole or diced tomatoes
  • 3/4 C Green Pepper (optional – I leave it out for the kids)
  • 1 can french fried onions
Cook pasta as directed, rince and drain. Brown beef, drain fat. Combine all ingredients except french fried onions. Pour into greased 2 quart casserole. Cover and bake at 350 for thirty minutes. Uncover, top with french fried onions, and bake five minutes longer.

I'm cooking it tonight so I'll let you know tomorrow what the consensus is. :)

And you can also look forward to more frugal recipes or recipes period from me. Hope you don't mind. ;)


**edit**

Well, the hubby did not like it. It was eh to me. The tomatoes absolutely overwhelmed it. We are both not real big tomato fans but I put them in recipes all of the time. I also wonder if I could use seasoned tomatoes if that would have made a difference.
The French's fried onions made it. Without them, I dont think I could have eaten it. It was very bland without them.
So overall, unless I can promise to make it taste better next time, I just don't think K will let me make this again. Coming from a human garbage disposal, that is rare. He usually eats anything.

No comments: